Shane passed away on March 26th in a tragic accident, it truly is a tragedy both to the community and his family. He was a Canadian hero, born in Vancouver, and will be missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends during this time.
This is a tribute to the life of an amazing individual, and contains only a snapshot of some of his incredible accomplishments. I’m sure that’s how he would want to be remembered.
Shane McConkey was the son of Jim McConkey, a Whistler legend and member of the Ski Hall of Fame (Jim McConkey was head of the Whistler ski school, there is a run named after him in Harmony Bowl). Some say Shane was the best skier on the planet.
Along with teammate Miles Daisher, Shane was the first to base jump off the new Peak-To-Peak gondola in Whistler.
Shane McConkey (December 30, 1969 – March 26, 2009) Born in Vancouver, British Columbia , was a professional skier based out of Squaw Valley, California. He won numerous awards and competitions. McConkey started as a competitive freestyle skier, but moved on to be featured in a long line of extreme skiing movies. McConkey was known for combining base jumping with skiing, as seen in such feats as skiing into a BASE jump off the Eiger. McConkey went to Burke Mountain Academy. He was also known for his contributions to ski design, notably being the father of reverse side cut and reverse camber skis (aka: skis with rocker), first with the Volant Spatula and, more recently, the K2 Pontoon ski design.
On March 26, 2009 McConkey was killed while skiing in the Dolomite Mountains in Italy. He and his skiing partner JT Holmes were skiing off of a cliff while wearing parachutes; after doing a double back flip, McConkey was unable to deploy his parachute and crashed to the ground. He died on the scene.
* Claim (2008)
* Seven Sunny Days (2007)
* Steep (2007)
* Push (2006)
* Focused – Season One (2005)
* The Hit List (2005)
* Warren Miller’s Higher Ground (2005)
* Yearbook (2004)
* Ski Movie III: The Front Line (2002)
* Ski Movie 2: High Society (2001)
* Ski Movie (2000)
* There’s Something About McConkey (2000)
* Global Storming (1999)
* Sick Sense (1998)
* Walls of Freedom (1995?)
* TGR’s The Realm (1994)
* Immersion (2002)
* Alpine Rapture (1993)
* Ski Theater (1992)
* Nea Award Winner – Freeskiing Male
* Bridge Day Championships – 5th.
* 3rd Exit Style Winner of Judges Choice Award
* Gravity Games Big Mtn. Champion, Gravity Games Skiercross – 6th
* Gravity Games Big Air – 7th
* X-Games Skiercross – 5th
* Japan Core Games Skiercross Champion- 3rd.
* Jonny Moseley Invitational – 3rd.
* ESPN X-Games Skier Cross – 2nd.
* IFSA World Tour of Freeskiing – 5th.
* US Freeskiing Nationals – 5th
* World Tour event at Andermatt – 3rd.
* IFSA World Tour of Freeskiing Champion- 2nd.
* European Freeskiing Champion- 2nd.
* U.S. Freeskiing Nationals – 2nd.
* Canadian Freeskiing Championships-4th.
* IFSA Overall World Tour Champion – Unofficial tour- 4th.
* European Freeskiing Champion
* U.S. Freeskiing Championships-4th.
* World Extreme Skiing Championships-6th.
* U.S. National Freeskiing Champion
* South American Freeskiing Champion
* Pro Mogul Tour Overall – 16th.
* 1st seed and Japan Super Mogul – 7th.
* South American Freeskiing Champion
* World Extreme Skiing Championships-2nd
* Pro Mogul Tour Overall-8th
* 1st seed and Pro Mogul Tour Event at Copper Mtn. – 1st.
2005: Nominated for Laureus World Sport Award – World Alternative Sportsperson Of The Year, Ranked #1 Powder Magazine Reader Poll and Won Powder Magazine’s Full Throttle Award again.
2004: Ranked #2 again in Powder Magazine’s Reader Poll, Won Powder Magazine’s Full Throttle award, Won Powder Magazine’s Best Helmet Cam award, Went ski base jumping all over Europe and even got to bust a double front off the Eiger and Got Married in Thailand!
2003: Ranked #2 in Powder Magazine’s Reader Poll, Won the Chinese Fruity DH at my own event! (Beat Daron Rhalves!) and Skied bitchen lines that closed out to 500ft cliffs and then aired off em with my parachute!
2002: Ranked #1 in Powder Magazine’s Reader Poll and Invented world’s greatest powder ski! The Volant Spatula with reverse camber and reverse sidecut!
2001: ESPN Action Sport Awards Skier of the Year, Red Bull Ultra Cross’s Big Air Comp – 1st and Ranked #1 in Skiing Magazine’s Top 25 skiers in North America.
More videos of Shane: